Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 12/12/2017 in all areas

  1. 14 points
    Back in 2016 when I trained for the Fresno Marathon in November, I was in the best shape ever and ready to go for sub3...the race came, the weather was perfect and the miles passed by until mile 21 when my hammy had enough for the day....on 2:55 pace, I booked my first DNF, oh well. Fast forward, a 50 miler and a 3:02 training marathon later, I started training for the California International Marathon in August. The training cycle was mixed. Besides moving from Seattle to altitude in Denver, I had some issues with left lower hammy in October. The hammy/knee eventually improved but I missed 2 of the so important MP runs and adjusting to the Denver altitude took about 5-6 weeks. My confidence was boosted when I ran a +20 miler with 15 MP miles 3 weeks before the race, followed by a brisk 14 miler a week later at the same pace as in Seattle with less effort. I tapered well but honestly had no clue what would happen. I mainly put my hopes on the altitude bonus and the fact that I certainly had the training volume. I arrived in Sacramento on Friday afternoon, already on a carb high since my carb loading phase started that morning after a 5 day fat loading phase. I picked up my packet and consumed way too many of these delicious coffee latte cans they gave out at the expo. FWIW, I consumed about the equivalent of 9 espressos on Friday and 12 on Saturday... Later on Friday, I met for a late lunch with Kyan Matz. I got some good sleep from Friday to Saturday and headed to the hamster wheel in the hotel before 6 am....I wasn’t the only or the first one in the gym. No wonder, CIM served as the US Marathon Championships this year and the elites were staying at the same place... I ran 3 miles and finished my workout at 6:11 pace, further giving me a confident boost; maybe this altitude bonus is for real. Later that day, I met Sara, Dan and Donald. As I waited for Dan and Donald to head out for a pizza dinner, I saw Ryan Hall in the lobby. It was kinda funny, while current athletes were stopped for pics, Hall was in the lobby for 30 minutes and nobody cared. Dan, Donald and I got pizza and headed back to the hotel lobby. Dan’s buddy Eric joined us. The guy was blazing fast and ended up winning the Masters category on Sunday in 2:17, punching his 3rd OTQ at age 40. Damn! On Sunday, I got up at 3:30, had my bagel, gel and coffee before getting on the bus at 5:00. Everything was really well organized. I started my race with a 59 year old from Canada. The first 4 miles were strangely easy but I was running at 6:30 - 6:40, I decided to abandon my cautious racing plan to run 2:58-2:59 and just go big. The miles clicked away and I was on 2:53-2:55 pace, passing the half in 1:26 and change. Mile 15 came around and I realized for the first time that sub3 is mine if sh$% didn’t hit the fan. I decided to bank time until mile 20-22 and continued to run on pace...As I approached mile 22, I got super nervous: Would my leg hold up or blow-up again out of the blue like last year? Of course, I started to tire around mile 20 like all people do if you race and gun for a PR but I felt great and nothing hurt. A quick calculation and I realized that I could run 8:00 pace and still come in below 3 hours....Instead of pushing, I took some pace off, still running at sub3 pace for these miles but 15-20 seconds slower than before. The finish ended up more dramatic than expected, in the last curve, my left hipflexor cramped, a few seconds later I was across the finish in 2:55:07. I kneeled down to stretch my hipflexor and couldn’t get up...I tried but it wasn’t meant to be. Two volunteers arrived plus a third with a wheelchair...:”I am not getting into this thing, just put me back on my feet.” The two volunteers helped me to get up and I hobbled off while one volunteer ensured that I don’t hit the pavement in a few feet.. I got my Boston Cream Pie Cupcake from the Whole Foods stand and made my way back to the hotel. The race, while not easy, is fast. The field is usually deep, this year especially. I instantly fell in love with this race, of course the 5 minute PR helps but I really enjoyed the varied course, the supportive crowd and the great organization. I will def. be back.
  2. 4 points
    I’m in the midst of training for my first marathon: RNR Arizona. My last bloop was almost a month ago (!) and I had just run 16 miles for the first time. Life and training have been quite busy since then so I figured I'd share a snapshot of some of the workouts in the past few weeks: Week 15: 43 miles 5x1200s at 10K (8:50) pace on the track. I like running easy, I have grown to like tempo and longer intervals, but I still struggle with faster paced workouts. I usually run solo all the time but I’ve found that its very helpful to head to the track for the speed workouts…not just because it’s faster and easier to pace but because there are other people there! The UCSD track is super close to my work so it makes things pretty easy: drive to work at 530am, run to track, run at track, run back to work, shower and I’m at my desk by 7:30am. I am by far the slowest runner out there but I’ve come to terms with that. 17 mile LR: this went as well as possible! I was tired and ready to be done but nothing hurt, I didn’t need to walk, and only some minor chafing. This took me exactly 3 hours at 10:35 pace. Week 16: 37 miles Cutback week which was good since we headed to Vegas for Thanksgiving. Our family lives 3000 miles away on the East Coast so with several days off, we wanted to go somewhere fun that wasn’t too far away. We chose to fly this time even though the drive doesn’t seem like it’s too far (5ish hours on a good day). But on a holiday weekend, the drive quickly tests the strength of your marriage. Coach had a 2 hour long run on the schedule. Knowing that GPS would be sporadic, I appreciated a time vs mileage requirement. DH was a little worried about my safety running on the Strip but I agreed to only daylight running. We were staying at Planet Hollywood so basically the middle of the Strip. I left the hotel when the sun came up not sure how I’d get to 12-13 miles but ready for an adventure! I ended up running north to the Stratosphere then all the way south to the Luxor. And the people watching did not disappoint! I saw enough other runners and police presence to never feel too unsafe, except maybe around the Stratosphere. Not a good vibe there and I ran faster than planned. Saw people sleeping/passed out in all sorts of questionable areas, saw a pantsless “lady”, was offered cocaine, and tried to avoid multiple domestic disputes/assaults. On the positive, I felt like I ran around the globe, seeing the Statue of Libery, the Eiffel Tower, pyramids, Venetian canals, waterfalls and of course, Elvis. Garmin and Strava disagreed on the total mileage but it was 13 miles, +/- 0.4 miles. I also realized that I didn’t see a single dog, yay! The entire area is a giant cigarette cloud but at least you aren’t going to get bit by a dog or step in dog poop (although, I’m pretty sure I stepped around human poop in several areas). One of DS’s favorite parts of Vegas is that there are escalators everywhere to cross the main streets. While running, this wasn’t as annoying as I anticipated although it was tricky to avoid going into the casinos at some points. I ended up running 3 of the 4 mornings that we were there so quite the success. At the top of the High Roller (Ferris Wheel) Seeing a piece of my Pennsylvania heritage Taking a 4.5-year old to Vegas was actually pretty fun. We brought him when he was 18 months old and had religious nut jobs yelling at us about being terrible parents but none of that this time. Lots of interesting things to see everywhere we went. Our hotel room faced the Bellagio fountains so that kept him very entertained when we were in the room. I’d say the worst part, besides people smoking EVERYWHERE, was seeing people dressed up as some Disney character, but hey, this isn’t Disneyland. The destitute characters would remove their heads whenever they needed another cigarette, in full view of the crowds. DS seeing the homeless man inside the crappy Mickey costume sparked a lot of sad questions. Week 17: 35 miles 2 x 2 mi at HMP: This scared me when I saw it on the schedule since I haven’t been running HMP at all but I killed it! 9:17/9:10/9:14/9:13 paces and I felt awesome. 18 mile LR: This was supposed to be 8 easy, 8 at MP, then 2 easy. Work was quite stressful this week due to a looming presentation to global bigwigs. Friday, all sorts of crap happened at work which led to me going home Friday night feeling sick to my stomach. I barely ate dinner and knew that 18 miles the next morning were going to suck. I stopped to walk at mile 2. No matter what music I put on, I couldn’t stop thinking about work nonsense and my HR would shoot super high. Crazy how much stress affects your health. Some people are able to use the stress/anger to fuel their run; I am not that person. I barely made it through the easy 8, stopping to walk every mile to try and get the HR to calm down. I ran 1 mile at MP and then decided this wasn’t happening so my new goal was to get time on my feet; basically walk/run as long as 18 miles running would have taken (about 3:10). I made it to 14.2 miles total, walking the entire last mile. Here is a benefit to having my Coach also be a colleague. She was going through the same stress disaster with her project at work so understood everything. No worries! One bad run, even though it was a LR and a workout wasn’t going to ruin everything. A few days later, after the presentation was over and some serious debriefing with my team, the stress is gone and running is going great again. Week 18: 44 miles 8x800s in 4:20 (8:40 pace): All but the first one was 4:11-4:16 so this was a great workout for me. It’s the first time at the track that I didn’t at least think about skipping an interval and thought I could actually do more. Coach thought about giving me 10x800 but it’s really hard to get much more than 8 miles before work. 20 mile LR: After missing the MP miles the previous week, Coach was debating between giving me 20 easy or 17-18 with MP miles. She let me choose and since I have no time goals for the marathon, I felt getting the 20 miler was better. Plus I have a HM this coming Saturday where I plan to go for the PR—some tough work ahead. This run actually went really well! I was mentally over it around 16 miles but my body was fine. Tired but no issues. Fueling went great. Ended with 10:31 overall pace. All my long runs start with temps in the low 60’s (before 7am) but are approaching 80 degrees in full sun hours later when I’m done. I’m hoping this prepares me for whatever weather Phoenix will have in January. Plus, as you may have seen on the news, California has had super dry weather this past week. After some crazy fires broke out here on Thursday, I wondered if I’d even be able to do the 20 miler outside due to poor air quality but thankfully, I’m about 30 min from the worst fire and the air seemed ok. However, when humidity is like 7% and it’s 80 degrees, my mouth is constantly dry and even drinking every mile seems like not enough. Thank you Costco for selling Gatorade by the bushel! I spent the afternoon being lazy and then had my work holiday party Saturday evening. 5 hours in mostly comfortable heels, a few too many drinks and being awake 3-4 hours later than normal did not lead to a easy recovery run the next morning. Oh, I still dragged myself out there but nothing was easy. I would have pushed it to the afternoon but turned out DS had a birthday party to attend. And the birthday party? At an ice rink. So I finished off the weekend with some ice skating cross training and successfully did not hurt myself. 5 weeks to go!
  3. 3 points
    Summer is my favorite time to run. Shorts, sports bra and some sneakers. I never have to push myself out the door dreading the cold. As you all know I missed the whole summer of running. I try very hard not to get caught up in the "poor me" syndrome. I may wallow for a bit about how much something stinks at the moment, but then I try to find ways to work around my current problem. This summer I became the queen of working around my hamstring injury. I was told by the PTs to "just rest" or work on my upper body. Pfffftttttt to the rest. Stairclimbing, rowing, ellipticaling, and weights became my go to workouts. I built biceps all summer long. My friends, my kids and I had already completed a Sprint (3-5 miles) and a Super (8-10 miles) Spartan race. We needed one last race to complete our Trifecta medals -- the Beast (13-15 miles). We chose the Central Florida Beast this past weekend. As luck would have it the weather went from 80* down to 50* the day of the race. Boo! This race had some of the obstacles that I've never been able to complete - tyrolean rope, monkey bars, twister. It was time to test my newly built biceps! N, C and I were running together. My son and daughter ran their own race. We jumped the hay bales, overwalls and the over, under, through obstacle. Jumped and shimmied over the hurdles that are 4 ft in the air. The barbed wire in this race was so low and so long!! Poor C who has bad knees and is tall had to do the whole thing on her back! The bucket brigade was fun. I got the guy in front of me singing the "Sound Off - 1, 2, 3 , 4" song. Good thing he knew it better than me! Climbed the 8 foot wall and ran to the bender obstacle! I love this obstacle!! It's like a jungle gym that is 4 foot in the air. You climb up underneath and then have to pull yourself up and over the top and climb back down the other side. It takes some bravery and muscle to pull yourself up from underneath and over the top. Love it. Luckily I don't tend to think of the what-if I fell! Immediately following this was the tyrolean rope. Last time I tried this it hurt my achilles so bad! This time I wasn't sure what it would mean for my hamstring. I shimmied under that thing and worked my way all the way across the rope! It never felt so good to ring the bell. (Obviously not me) The plate drag was up next. C is a beast at the heavy drags and lifts. I pulled mine across and was able to pull it back to its start position. A major win for my hammy! Twister is a relatively new obstacle. I tried it once and only made it 1/2 way through. This time it was child's play! I ran around and high fived a bunch of strangers!! I love that you can be so random with people and they will play along!(obviously not me) The log carry and z walls were no problem. Climbing walls still is hard for me so I had a bit of help getting to the climbable portion of the Stairway to Sparta. There were 2 sandbag carries. One through the water because we wouldn't want to have dry shoes. The monkey bars are uneven. When I've tried to do them before I couldn't make the transition upward. This time they were so easy I couldn't believe I'd ever had problems with them before! We were running some and walking a lot because N has knee issues. She had meniscus surgery 18 months ago and still gets swelling when she runs. The spear throw is just a stupid obstacle! Never have made it once in the 5 Spartans that I have done. Gah! Totally failed Olympus this time. I made it 1/2 way this past summer but I couldn't get any traction with my feet. Boo! (not me) The rings were up next! Love the rings! It's like you are a child on the play ground again! You like the guys oxygen restriction mask? I left mine at home.... I got to the end and didn't generate enough swing to get up to the bell. I swung back and forth like 5 times trying to hit the bell! I finally yelled for N to come over and help me! #Teamwork! In retrospect if I had just re-gripped the ring behind me I could've gained more momentum! LOL! The rolling mud hills were next. These were seriously slippery and disgusting. But don't worry! We got cleaned off by going under the dunk walls! Brrrr!!!! Ridiculous!! It was so slippery that we had to crawl out of the silly pit! thank goodness we only had another 2 miles to go now that we were completely soaked and cold! Scaled the slip wall and lifted the atlas ball. Everything was so slippery that this was the first time I had to roll the Atlas ball up my leg instead of just picking it up. At the vertical cargo net we saw a guy carry a paralyzed man over the net! I couldn't believe how dangerous it looked. By now the dirt was grinding into my hands. It was super painful getting over the top. I was pretty sure the rope climb was going to be a no go. We ran through some enchanted forests and came out to the rope. C & N call this my event because I'm the only one of us who can do it. I rinsed my hands off as well as I could with the water from my water bottle that I had been carrying for 12+ miles. Gripped the rope and shimmied right up that thing like it was the first obstacle! Boo yah!!! We ran off to the herc hoist. Pulled those sand bags all the way up. Scrambled over the A-frame and dashed for the finish line! I may have broken out into a spontaneous dance to the club music that the DJ was playing. C & N were unimpressed. I'm sure my kids were trying to pretend that they didn't know me. A guy passed by and commented on my mad dance skillz!! We quickly changed and took some finishing line pictures. My kids had a fantastic race! We went back to the house and cleaned up. Ate like champs! The next day we corrupted my sons girlfriend! She ran her first Spartan Sprint and loved it! We cheered like maniacs! C, N, my daughter and I all completed our 1st Trifectas! My son did 2 Trifectas this year! Such a great time! And I'm so happy that I didn't sit around this summer and do nothing because of my silly hammy. If one road is blocked try going a different way. It just might be fun!
  4. 2 points
    So my last blog was setting up my attempt to complete the Runner’s World Holiday Streak, but with some of my own crazy rules to make it a little more rigorous and bit more fun. The first step for me in that was to beat my previous run streak, which wasn’t even planned, but I think just worked out that way by continually rearranging runs and not bothering to take a rest day for almost 2 weeks. It stood at 13 days, nothing to really be that impressed by, but seemed like an easy-ish, step 1 toward the whole Holiday season shebang. So to have reached that, I need to run up to at least this past Tuesday. Normally I run early…very early in morning, but due to having to be somewhere even further than my normal (long) commute, even earlier than I normally get to work, I thought an afternoon run on Tuesday would be better. As you can probably guess by this point, it didn’t happen. Over the weekend my son had some kind of stomach bug and by Tuesday morning I was slightly hopeful I had dodged it. I hadn’t. Driving home I at times contemplated pulling over to take a nap or calling someone to pick me up I was so tired. I made it home, used what little energy I had to make it to the bedroom and collapsed into bed. Even in such a state, in the back of my mind was a day about a month ago. I had a similar feeling of total exhaustion had hit me out of nowhere, collapsed into bed and woke up two hours later feeling just fine. Maybe that could happen this time too? Then I could shuffle my way through two, post-dinnertime miles and keep the streak alive. I didn’t. No need to be graphic, you all have an imagination, but the next 12 hours were pretty horrible. I know I slept a little during that time, but I don’t know how much, an hour, 20 minutes, 3 hours? Who knows? It was kind of a blur but I must have worked out in my fevered stupor because the muscles of my core were on fire the next morning. The upside was by midmorning Wednesday I was out of the woods enough to sit in bed and binge watch an entire season of Stranger Things, eat a small bowl of plain noodles and drink some Gatorade. By Thursday I was well enough to shuffle my way through a day at work, but not a run. Friday, I thought about running but decided to give it one more day to let my systems settle down, and frankly I was still very tired. Then Saturday I ran. I wasn’t sure how it would go, I still hadn’t eaten a whole lot, my stomach still felt a little touchy, and it was pretty cold. But, like the old mental trick goes, tell yourself you just have to make it around the block and if it’s that bad, you can go home. I made it around the neighborhood and thought well, I can definitely get 2 miles in, and at 2 miles I knew I could get to 3, and at 3 miles I decided to go to 4. And at 4 I was still .1 miles from my house so I decided to keep going all the way to 4.1 miles, because after a stomach virus and 4 days off that was enough. In the spirit of the season and because I didn't really choose to not run, I decided to finish what I started. The streak is back on…because after all, it just for fun and I make the rules so as the judge and jury of my own streak I have allowed a dispensation for illness and consider the streak paused during that time but not officially broken.
  5. 2 points
    Thought I'd torn my calf muscle in August and stopped running to do rehab, prehab, stretching and strengthening, none of which had any effect by the end of October. A doctor friend at church mentioned he'd had endless calf muscle pulls and tears, all of which turned out to be caused by a back problem and the sciatic nerve malfunctioning. My sciatica has been going on since 2006 approximately, so I tend to just ignore that pain among the many others, which perhaps is not sensible. Next step was to foam roll everything every day and lie upon the Sacro Wedgy, which is about as much fun as it sounds. On the plus side, it did give my wife a good laugh. The foam roller found a very painful spot under the piriformis muscle, hm how interesting. I'm working my way through the back catalog of old Bond movies on Amazon Prime, in 20-minute episodes, while doing my time on the Wedgy each evening.. Connery, Craig, Moore, Brosnan, Dalton is my ranking. The older Connery has an elder-statesman look but the young Connery is a rogue and a scamp. Barbara Bach, married to Ringo Starr for the last several decades, is my favorite Bond girl.. A month of this reduced the sciatica pains considerably though the calf still aches and twitches a bit, thought it time to essay a run. The first run was slow but alright, no sudden cramps or pains. The second run was on a cold day, upper 20s, which provoked a very unpleasant asthma attack. After the last major attack I'd been on steroids for a week and had some wonderful swim workouts Powered by Prednisone. It's amazing how much easier it is when able to breathe. Some tightness and wheezing had been creeping up in the last few weeks. Luckily this attack didn't end in the ER, was able to control it with assorted inhalers and pills. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 60s, hoping for an uneventful run/walk.. In other news the '98 minivan finally developed enough ailments that I wasn't prepared to fix it anymore. Hope this doesn't give my wife any ideas.. 280 000 miles, two bad inner CV joints, one bad oxygen sensor on the rear manifold, and an overdue timing belt change - all that adds up to about $2000 in mechanic fees, or several months of weekends for me. Gave it away to IOCC and started looking around. My older boy was sad, he used to call the van the Green Hornet, I don't want to know what he and his friends got up to in it. They believed the van was haunted.. when Ian used to drive it to school, they'd all go to lunch driving in the van, apparently it was always warm in there even in the depths of Denver winter. At least once the van made the run from school to Voodoo Donuts downtown and back, forty miles of traffic in a lunch hour.. hm. It was a good old van.
  6. 2 points
    take it easy with the wedgy.
  7. 1 point
    I wrote an excessive amount of detail about this race (links at the end of this post), but here is a short-ish overview! When I chose CIM, I selected it with the express purpose of trying for a 2:45:00 or faster marathon. God placed the dream of achieving an Olympic Trials Qualifying time on my heart, and after an almost painful amount of marathon research I decided that CIM would be my best chance after the qualifying window for the 2020 Trials opened this fall. As race day grew closer, I felt like I was ready for a PR, but not for a 2:45. 2:46-2:47 felt more realistic, and I lamented on this quite a bit during my taper. I ended up deciding to target 2:46:55, 6:22 pace. As marathons always do, once the race began, it took on a personality of it's own. Miles 1-10 were at an average of 6:22 pace - right where I wanted to be. Then something clicked in my head, and for the first time I felt confident that I could run a 2:45:00 after all. I typically hit a stride like this in the marathon, where I feel like I can conquer the world. I start thinking with endorphins, and thoughts like "6:15 is way too fast for that many miles" are replaced with "6:15 seems doable for the rest of the race". Around mile 10, I could hear my husband's advice in my head: "You should try for the 2:45; if you lose it at the end, you lose it at the end...but you'll never get it without trying." I could hear my coach saying, "6:22 is a good starting pace, but don't be afraid to drop the pace as the race progresses." I prayed, "God, please make us strong and brave" ("us" being my friends Jamie, Kris, and I -- full story about the miles I spent with each of them during this race to come). I suddenly believed that I could run the remaining 16 miles of the race at 6:15 pace, which I knew would get me in at just under 2:45. From miles 10-22.5ish I did just that. Each mile that passed I was hitting right around 6:15 pace, with some variation for elevation, and each time I passed a mile marker I just knew I could run the remaining distance at 6:15 pace. A similar thing happened to me at BMO Mesa-Phoenix, when I just knew I had the rest of the race in me at 6:30 pace or better (on the other hand, at Dallas I knew I was going to come up a few miles short). Mile 18 - yep, I've got 8 more miles of 6:15s in me. Mile 19 - yes, I can do 7 more miles of this. Doubt crept in here and there, and I would question if I had enough left, but I just kept running the mile I was in and praying to be brave. When I hit mile 20 in 2:06:10, I believed I could run the final 10K in 38:50, or 6:15 pace. For the first time in this entire training cycle, I fully believed I was ready for a 2:45. I thought of all of the fast finish runs I'd done; I was ready to close with a solid 10K. Then around mile 22.5, my neck started spasming. My legs were still intact, so initially I didn't worry, but tried to tilt it forward and to the sides for some relief. It quickly worsened, and I also became dizzy. I knew it was the benign paroxsymal positional vertigo (BPPV) I'd experienced during my taper, and I knew it was trying to steal my 2:45! I wasn't going to let it take my dream without a fight, but I quickly felt like I was losing the battle. I felt like a puppet, my head pulled back on a string. I couldn't keep my head forward and I couldn't see the road. My peripheral vision was off and I almost felt like I was running into the unknown. I tried to focus on a girl's head in front of me, and kept telling myself "just follow her in, just get in". I didn't see my final 3 mile splits because I couldn't look at my watch, but they weren't nearly good enough for the 2:45 (6:40, 6:46, 7:01 -- I did see mile 23 which was 6:26 for the start of my slow-down). I wasn't sure I was going to make it in at all, so my disappointment with slowing down was replaced with thankfulness to finish. Something is going to give at the end of a marathon, and this was just it for me in this one. I crossed the finish line in 2:47:14, a PR by over 2 minutes on a course that was more difficult than where I ran my 2:49 (you can't earn an OTQ at Phoenix due to the amount of net downhill). I was overcome by so many sensations at once: excruciating pain as I fell to the ground in the finish chute, joy for the PR and to have made it to the finish, and disappointment that after finally feeling like I could run a 2:45 for about 12.5 miles, I was unable to even come close. I finished 65th female in the USATF National Marathon Championships, after not being seeded in the top 100 going in. Could I have run faster had I stayed at 6:20-6:22 pace instead of dropping to 6:15? Most likely; pretty much anytime you slow down at the end of a marathon you're well-trained for it's because you didn't pace within your capacity earlier on, and it's always better to negative split. I may have gotten in at 2:46:30ish, but I still wouldn't have gotten the standard. As much as I hate not having a strong finish, I am glad I took the risk. A marathon PR is always a risk, and this Big Time Goal was a Big Gamble for me. One thing that's changed in addition to my bright shiny new PR is that, for the first time, I feel confident I can run a 2:45. It's going to take everything going right (no BPPV!), but now I know I have it in me. Phoenix was a turning point because I knew I had to try (who is going to run a 2:49 and not try?); CIM was the point that I knew I could do it (who is going to be content with a 2:47 when that 2:45 is right there?!). Just like after my 2:49 at Phoenix, even if I never run a faster marathon, I am really proud that I ran a 2:47. I am thankful God gave me the strength to run it and put people in my life to help me get there. It wasn't that long ago that 6:22.7 pace was my 10K pace, and as Jon told me, I ran 19:49 5Ks for 26.2 miles straight! I have over 2 years to find 134 more seconds. Trying is always going to be intimidating, because it's freakin' 6:17 pace for 26.2 miles! But as at CIM, God will make me brave enough to try. Official results aren't yet posted, presumably since it was the national marathon championships, but my unofficial results are here. This link also has a few race videos and links to several super ridiculous-looking race photos (we will just say that the crazy posture I ran the final few miles in is illustrated well, and I now can't look at them without laughing!). More from CIM: USATF National Championships Panel & Expo Pre-Race Calm & Camaraderie Miles 1-10: Anyone can run a good first 10K Miles 10-22.5: Finding confidence for the first time Miles 22.5-26.2: The beginning of the end Post-Race Tears & Post-Race Planning Marathon Day Fueling
  8. 1 point
    Congrats on the Sub-3! That is an awesome accomplishment! Great job, man! I wish I could've been there! So many cool loopsters running the race this year!
  9. 1 point
    Congrats!! Long time coming, but you crushed the goal.
  10. 1 point
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Also, you moved? Is that why there haven't been any geese posts in a while?
  11. 1 point
    Congrats! I'm glad good things happened after that much preparation.
  12. 1 point
    Will wonders never cease? A bloop from ocean_101. Sounds like an amazing day.
  13. 1 point
    I love stories with happy endings! Congrats on thrashing your goal so thoroughly. That altitude training was the extra boost on top of your usual great preparation.
  14. 1 point
  15. 1 point
    That pizza looks really tasty. Congratulations on that great big sub-3. You certainly earned it.
  16. 1 point
    Woohoo!! Congrats again on an awesome race!! It's so great to see all your hard work pay off!
  17. 1 point
    Glad the whole back/calf is calming down or else your DW may give you away to the IOCC. I need to go climb that mountain that is behind the green hornet and kayak! <3
  18. 1 point
    Yaaaaaaaay!!! A huge sub 3 AND a bloop. Moe is very proud of you on both accounts.
  19. 1 point
    How the heck did you sleep with that much caffeine coursing its way through your body?? So happy that you hit your sub 3! You worked so hard for it!
  20. 1 point
    Loved the old Saint show. If Pierce could hadn't had contract issues when they first approached him, he would have challenged Moore in the longevity department, and Mrs. Dave and I were fans of his from Remington Steele. I like Moore a lot, but sort of wish he'd stopped a film or two earlier than he did. He looked sort of tired in Octopussy and AVTAK. Of course, many of the films had at least a moment or two of camp that still make me cringe. Goldeneye is a good one, except for parts of the tank chase and Alan Cumming's character, Boris.
  21. 1 point
    I'm not sure I should even go to Houston if I don't get completely over the BPPV, but I slept flat the past 2 nights for the first time since Thanksgiving with no issues, so I am hopeful!
  22. 1 point
    It looks kind of like you are about to sneeze. That's the excuse I would go with.
  23. 1 point
    Congratulations on the PR, and good luck getting those 134 seconds!
  24. 1 point
    Nice summary. It's a good sign you felt well enough to shoot for the 2:45. It will happen soon!
  25. 1 point
  26. 1 point
    I couldn’t believe how deep the field was in that race! Congratulations!
  27. 1 point
    I'm really impressed with your lasagna skills.. ;-) clearly all the good karma from cooking for the horde, just lifted you up on the run.. ha I have a white noise app on my phone, for travelling, when the night is too noisy or too quiet..
  28. 1 point
    Congrats on the PR! I think your husband was right, you weren't going to get there if you didn't try, and for me at least, it's always easier to walk away from the results falling short than never trying in the first place.
  29. 1 point
    Congrats on the PR! Ugh... so close. Good job pushing through the BPPV. This proves that you can run a 2:45 if a few things fall into place. I'm looking forward to your next race.
  30. 1 point
    Silver lining, I guess. Hope the weirdness holds off in Houston.
  31. 1 point
    Wow - must have been scary the first time you experienced that. Well done on toughing it out and achieving your PR even though it wasn't quite what you wanted. 2:47 was 65th female?? That is some stacked field! I assume that will get you a lot more seedings in future races?
  32. 1 point
  33. 1 point
    That neck issue looks terrifying in the race photos. So glad you're OK. Congratulations on the huge PR. I have no doubt that you'll get that sub 2:45 one of these days.
  34. 1 point
    I think the pics are good! If you look your absolute best in race photos then you are running too slow anyway. :-)
  35. 1 point
    Interesting. I think Australian women are comparatively more competitive than the men on the international running stage too. I suspect maybe it's that the men's scene is so hugely dominated by the Africans (and by such a large margin) our men would need to be once in a generation to compete. Maybe as someone above has said the international women aren't as well supported in some countries as say here or in the US? It's been interesting here that in 2 major men's sports (cricket & Australian rules football) we now have (in the last 2 years) National women's competitions (and TV coverage) with the teams aligning with the major men's franchises. There's also the women's rugby league world cup currently running here in conjunction with the men's (the women also had rugby sevens at the RIO olympics). Last summer the women's cricket easily drew higher TV viewers than both men's soccer & basketball.
  • Create New...