Jump to content

Bloop

  • entries
    865
  • comments
    9,043
  • views
    34,173

Contributors to this blog

Goals & DW Starts Running!

Apple Pie

120 views

Hey all.  Its early January of a new year so I thought I'd write out a few goals I'm going to work towards in 2020.

1.  Get Faster.  I spent last year building up distance and more generally, just enjoying running.  Did my first half marathons in a number of years.  My times (2:31, then 2:27) weren't great in comparison to where I was about 5 years back (1:57).  I'm not hung up on the slower pace, but do want to eventually get back to where I was.  With absolutely no scientific reasoning (or really any cognitive contemplation), I've decided I'd like to get down below 2:10 this year.  And then mount a challenge for under 2:00 the following year.  I'm targeting a local half that looks kinda hilly (but is all down hill the last 7 miles!) in June, and a really really really flat half on the Rhode Island coast in September.  If I put in the work, I'm pretty confident I can run the latter strong and end up with a good time.

I know that speed work a good way to get faster.  I'm planning on using the high school track in the spring, but will need to educate myself on how/what best to do there.  Any of you that regularly do speed work, I would love to hear what you do and what you think might work for me.

2.  Stay Healthy.  Just like every other runner on the planet, I don't like being injured.  I think my previous PF & ITB issues were the result of a few things that I should be able to control.  The main one was committing to a half when I simply didn't have enough time in life to properly train, and then trying to 'catch up' the miles as the race neared.  That was stupid.  And I paid the price.  I also did very little in the way of general exercise, aside from running.  In 2020, I want to incorporate regular exercises into my running habit.  I started with push-ups before most runs about 2 months ago and am starting to see some results there.  My core is... um... well... let's just say I need to start adding core exercises too! 😂  I also have a series of leg/glute/abductor/adductor exercises that I want to add into the mix. These things will keep me in better shape and hopefully ward of injuries.  The only issue is that during the week, I run early in the morning and adding more to the routine may mean waking up even earlier.  But I like sleep a lot. 😉  I'll figure it out because I know I need to do these things. 

3.  Do Everything I Can to Make My Wife's Sojourn into Running Successful for Her!  Yup, after many many years of DW not having any real desire to run, she's decided to this is the year she starts running. 👍  In December, I pointed out to her that the Hartford Marathon Foundation, which organizes many races during the year, has put together a series she might be interested in - a 'progressive' challenge of a 5K in May, a 10K in June and 13.1 in October.  She bit!  She's already signed up for all 3 and has her run plan (a modified none to run program) figured out through the 10K.  She's going to put together the plan from 10K to Half as it gets nearer based on how she's doing, which I think is a smart approach.  While I was at work today, she sent me a text that she did her first walk/run and "I didn't die. LOL"  So it has officially started.  I'm psyched for her.  I told her that when she starts running outside (in the spring), I'll plan on running with her on the weekends at whatever pace she wants to run, and I will run all 3 races with her.  For someone who runs 99% of his runs solo, I couldn't be any happier to have a run buddy!  Should be good.  I'll report on her progress as time goes by.  Her history is accomplishing just about every goal she sets for herself, so I have no doubt she will cross the finish line at the Hartford Half in October.  Boom!

That's about it from here, Loop.  Hope you all have a great week!

- Apple Pie

  • Like 4


10 Comments


Recommended Comments

Looks like 2020 is going to be a banner year for the Pies.

I like to keep my speed work really simple. Two days a week - one tempo and one interval workout. If I'm on the track, it's mostly repeats of various distances under a mile (400s to 1200s), at a speed you can survive the workout, with jogging rest between reps. Anything longer (1600+) I'll do on the road.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 1/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, Keep Running Girl said:

Great goals!!!  

Maybe we'll have another runner in VT?  :D

 

I read Mrs. Pie your comment. She said “heck no!” But I’ve got time to work on her. 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 1/8/2020 at 9:07 AM, Dave said:

I like to keep my speed work really simple. Two days a week - one tempo and one interval workout. If I'm on the track, it's mostly repeats of various distances under a mile (400s to 1200s), at a speed you can survive the workout, with jogging rest between reps. Anything longer (1600+) I'll do on the road.

Thanks Dave. How do you choose what distance of interval to run?  I think I’ve read longer distances if you’re training for a marathon and shorter distances for 5Ks. So if I want to get faster at the half, is there an optimal interval distance (or distances)?

Share this comment


Link to comment
11 hours ago, Apple Pie said:

Thanks Dave. How do you choose what distance of interval to run?  I think I’ve read longer distances if you’re training for a marathon and shorter distances for 5Ks. So if I want to get faster at the half, is there an optimal interval distance (or distances)?

Hansons recommends starting with shorter, faster reps in the first half of your training schedule (speed), then longer and slower later to build strength. That works well for me. I also found several of their suggested workouts in an old RW article that I regularly use in my plans.

For a half, I'd keep the reps at between 400s and 2400s. Repeats. Ladders. Nothing fancy.

When I put together a schedule, I set down the mileage first, then overlay the intervals that will give me the miles I have planned for that day. For example, 6 miles - 1.5 w/u & c/d means I need 3 miles of speed. 8 x 400 w/ 200 recovery is just about 3 miles. You could also shorten the w/u & c/d and add a few more 400s.

Next question is, "How fast?" You can get all technical and figure out VO2max and try to hit those paces, but that can get discouraging if you don't get there, and since you aren't working with a performance laboratory or professional coach, you risk using unrealistic numbers and either burning out or getting injured. Mostly I just run at what it feels like I can maintain for the planned workout. If I struggle too much at the end, then I know better next time.

This all makes me think I should write a bloop about my training plan, which has developed into something pretty consistent from race to race. It's varied enough to be interesting and since I only do a couple of marathons a year, it doesn't ever feel stale to me. Not yet anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
13 hours ago, Dave said:

Hansons recommends starting with shorter, faster reps in the first half of your training schedule (speed), then longer and slower later to build strength. That works well for me. I also found several of their suggested workouts in an old RW article that I regularly use in my plans.

For a half, I'd keep the reps at between 400s and 2400s. Repeats. Ladders. Nothing fancy.

When I put together a schedule, I set down the mileage first, then overlay the intervals that will give me the miles I have planned for that day. For example, 6 miles - 1.5 w/u & c/d means I need 3 miles of speed. 8 x 400 w/ 200 recovery is just about 3 miles. You could also shorten the w/u & c/d and add a few more 400s.

Next question is, "How fast?" You can get all technical and figure out VO2max and try to hit those paces, but that can get discouraging if you don't get there, and since you aren't working with a performance laboratory or professional coach, you risk using unrealistic numbers and either burning out or getting injured. Mostly I just run at what it feels like I can maintain for the planned workout. If I struggle too much at the end, then I know better next time.

This all makes me think I should write a bloop about my training plan, which has developed into something pretty consistent from race to race. It's varied enough to be interesting and since I only do a couple of marathons a year, it doesn't ever feel stale to me. Not yet anyway.

Thanks Dave!

Share this comment


Link to comment

Stay healthy -- goal#1 will help with all of the other goals! 

It would be great if Mrs. Pie was on our Vermont team!

  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...