Jump to content

Bloop

  • entries
    794
  • comments
    8,556
  • views
    31,146

Contributors to this blog

The 100 on 100 relay (that I didn't run) and other KRGish stuff

Keep Running Girl

258 views

IMG_0394.jpg.fa2722d3c8db25007d3a20426dcd438f.jpg

I was the official tagger alonger at this year’s 100 on 100 this past weekend a few weeks ago.  It’s really hard to describe and I always sucked at writing about Loopmeets so I’ll just tell you a bit about it.  This year the team was fivestarks, Apple Pie, the incorrectly named Slow Running and Pat representing the OG, and Gonzo Runner and Paige bringing in some fresh (and very fast) blood.

IMG_0295.jpg.dc9161cf6a2e00a26c6be9917130e50e.jpg

Fivestarks had made arrangements to pick Gonzo Runner up from Newark Airport on her way to Vermont.  She graciously offered to let me start my tagging along there.  It was a nice ride up.  I love hanging out with these two and usually catch about half the NJ references.  I haven't seen Gwen since the NJ half and Steve since Peachtree last year so there was a lot of catching up.  I was supposed to be studying a little on the drive (more on that later) but I wound up chatting with the two of them with my book open on my lap the whole way up.  You would too if you had been there. 

IMG_0315.jpg.c147c5abbc95c3482b046001a3a689a4.jpg

I’ll briefly recap race day but for the most part if you weren’t there, it’s your own fault for missing it.

IMG_0335.jpg.20b4da8b5cb0f9afb486d1cd7b40ccfb.jpg

Wake up early.  Drive.  Hop out of the van to cheer.  Drive.  Hop out of the van to cheer.  Snacks.  Drive.  Cheer.  POP stop.  Repeat until well into the night.

Of course, along the way, everyone is joking around and having fun.  I found out that I am incredibly bad at recognizing our runners from far away.  I also found out that Paige, who is married to Pat, is crazy fast and completely fearless.  She stayed out running during an electrical storm that had us all hiding in the van and, I suspect, other teams packing it in for the day.

IMG_4083.jpg.e0d105eb364fa62f8d1bdb57424f4215.jpg

My favorite part of the day happened at night when fivestarks suggested that I run the last leg with her.  I haven’t run in weeks because my back went out again and, on a good day, I’m a lot slower than her so I was a little nervous.  Plus I was in very retired running shoes and a bra bra not a sports bra.  BUT how many times would I be able to run through the backroads of Vermont in the pitch black with fivestarks?  (Okay, technically the answer is probably annually but hush)

So after a bit of finessing of the situation and deciding that I was not a bandit – I was a pacer – ignoring the fact that that pace is slower, we were off.  Two things – Gwen is really fun to run with, she kept us on a nice clip without it ever feeling too hard or making me feel like I was holding her back.  And it was dark.  Like pitch black.  It was kind of fun on the uphills because getting to the top would be a happy surprise.  The downhills were fun too until I’d shine my headlamp out to take a peek and then get intimidated by how steep the hill was. 

I’m going to abruptly leave off there because I have more to tell about.

IMG_0377.jpg.50a15715e5a8df005d59b5c8a86f918f.jpg

Edit: I am captaining the 2020 team and I have to admit that after a few years of doing this with various people on the team, it really sucks that there are only six spots.  I know we say this every year, but can't we have two teams?  Please?  Maybe a 12 person van with two runners out at once?  Or two mini vans but our runners run together so we can still all mix in together?  I'm just saying...

So, I am studying to take my GMAT so I can start my masters this spring.  I’m excited and scared and I’ll probably have to rent out my place and live someplace cheaper while I’m doing it.  That part sucks but I am looking forward to a change of pace. 

I pretty much have to relearn algebra and geometry and even a lot of basic math for the test.  It’s taking all of my time just keeping up with my prep class so I am going to defer NYC this year.  I was behind on training anyway because of my back and don’t feel like I have anything to prove by gutting it out again this year. 

Edit: I was really happy about this decision until I was helping my RB strategize meeting up with her people at the finish, etc.  Now I'm a little sad that I won't be running it but not sad enough to want to go into it undertrained.  Am I soft?  Maybe but I'd rather not kill myself trying to finish and then have to come back mentally and physically in time for Atlanta.  So, I'm just going to focus on Atlanta.

I have some more plans as far as school goes but I don’t want to say anything about it yet.

Speaking of training.  I just haven't had it since 2017.  I really need to just commit myself and BE CONSISTENT but between injury, life, depression, weight gain, weight loss, falling off the smoking wagon, depression, getting back on the wagon, trying to maintain actual real life relationships with other human beings, and all the other things, I just haven't had a good season.  I know that those are all just excuses but it doesn't help me get past that either, ya know?  Sometimes I look back and remember 2017 fondly - waking up before dawn every day, running while the sun came up, that feeling of being on top of things, of accomplishing things, seeing my paces drop, seeing speedwork and hill work and running on dead legs pay off, and I think about how much I want to be back there.  But then... I think that that was all I had then.  Running could be the most important thing because it was everything.  Do I really want to be back there?  Really?  But if not that then what?

  • Like 6


21 Comments


Recommended Comments

There's always something. Life's like that, isn't it?

What's to prevent two teams (or three) of Loopsters in this race? Seems like there's enough interest.

My writing has gone way downhill the last couple of years, too. I feel like I shot my whole wad from 2010-2016. Now it's just, "Ran a bunch and got stung by wasps." Who even wants to read that? And don't even get me started on Instagram.

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

I'm so glad you made it to Vermont for 100 on 100!  It's always great to see you for a weekend of running.  I'm pretty sure that you will run NYC anyway... so maybe don't defer?  Yup, I do know you. BTW see you in Albany for MH which you can use as a training run!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Sounds so fun!

Running will always be there, in whatever capacity is best for you at different times.  It always lets you come back!

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
22 hours ago, Dave said:

There's always something. Life's like that, isn't it?

What's to prevent two teams (or three) of Loopsters in this race? Seems like there's enough interest.

My writing has gone way downhill the last couple of years, too. I feel like I shot my whole wad from 2010-2016. Now it's just, "Ran a bunch and got stung by wasps." Who even wants to read that? And don't even get me started on Instagram.

Two teams just never materializes.

My writing has gone downhill?  😉  Meh.  I'm out of practice now that I never write anymore.  

PS I'm not sure I can live in a world where you say, "shot my whole wad," Dave.  haha

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
20 hours ago, Slow_Running said:

I'm so glad you made it to Vermont for 100 on 100!  It's always great to see you for a weekend of running.  I'm pretty sure that you will run NYC anyway... so maybe don't defer?  Yup, I do know you. BTW see you in Albany for MH which you can use as a training run!

Me too!!!  It was so good getting to hang out with you!!  

LOL  You're not wrong but I need to be smarter this time around.  Last year, running NYCM with shit training was awful.  It sucked the fun out of it for me.  It hurt.  I PW'd.  And it made me hate running for months.  IT's just not worth it.  MH is my fall race. 

OMG!!!  Thank you again for the coffee!!!!  Not only is it yum but I totally forgot about it and then it saved my butt the other morning when I ran out of the can I had!!!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 hours ago, SIbbetson said:

Sounds so fun!

Running will always be there, in whatever capacity is best for you at different times.  It always lets you come back!

Thanks!  Yes, I need to remember that - "whatever capacity" I think that's where I really struggle with all or nothing mentality.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, CompulsiveRunner said:

Eyes forward, KRG. Plenty of good times (running and otherwise) ahead.

Thanks.  I need to make this my mantra.  

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I'm not sure I will ever have another stretch of great running again. 2015-2017 was the bomb.

Thanks for running with me. I do think I would have been a little bit afraid running that last leg alone since there really weren't many other runners around!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
14 minutes ago, ocrunnergirl said:

I'm not sure I will ever have another stretch of great running again. 2015-2017 was the bomb.

Thanks for running with me. I do think I would have been a little bit afraid running that last leg alone since there really weren't many other runners around!

Maybe it'll be a new kind of great?  

I would have been afraid for you running alone in that darkness!  Thanks again for inviting me!  It was honestly the first run in weeks that felt good and didn't hurt, too!

Share this comment


Link to comment

Every time I complain about life getting in the way, I remember - "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon). I've managed to get in a lot more living remembering that.

I already can't wait until next year. 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

You are right, you don't want to do a race undertrained, unless it's like a 5 or a 10K. I support this deferral 100%. 

That's so exciting about grad school! It was my favorite time in life AND one of the most pivotal! I was also 24-25-26, so you know, it was probably more the age thing than the grad school thing. I digress. This is worthless information for you. 

+1 Sarah on running. It's there however you need it. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
18 hours ago, Gonzo Runner said:

Every time I complain about life getting in the way, I remember - "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon). I've managed to get in a lot more living remembering that.

I already can't wait until next year. 

Me too!!!  

Share this comment


Link to comment
18 hours ago, eliz83 said:

You are right, you don't want to do a race undertrained, unless it's like a 5 or a 10K. I support this deferral 100%. 

That's so exciting about grad school! It was my favorite time in life AND one of the most pivotal! I was also 24-25-26, so you know, it was probably more the age thing than the grad school thing. I digress. This is worthless information for you. 

+1 Sarah on running. It's there however you need it. 

 

Thanks!!!  

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Gwen is great to run with! Good luck with getting ready for grad school. My program didn't require the GMAT (or any other test). I'm a year in. It's been a challenge. The nutrition program I'm doing is all online. It allows me to keep working, but it scares me sometimes that places are going to look at my degree and think it's trash. (It is a an accredited, nonprofit school with a real physical campus that has a very good reputation but still...)

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
14 hours ago, amarie2009 said:

Gwen is great to run with! Good luck with getting ready for grad school. My program didn't require the GMAT (or any other test). I'm a year in. It's been a challenge. The nutrition program I'm doing is all online. It allows me to keep working, but it scares me sometimes that places are going to look at my degree and think it's trash. (It is a an accredited, nonprofit school with a real physical campus that has a very good reputation but still...)

Thanks!!!

FWIW I don't think they really think that anymore about online programs.  

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, Keep Running Girl said:

  I was too slow!!!!  😭

my writing has gone downhill. reduced to punctuation.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...