Jump to content

Bloop

  • entries
    869
  • comments
    9,060
  • views
    34,279

Contributors to this blog

It's beginning to look a little like Christmas.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave

670 views

Not the weather around here, though. Maybe a little bit of snow next Wednesday.

Well, it's Thursday afternoon and I'm leaving town again this weekend. I'm also not running this week. I had hoped I'd be able to jump back on the train Monday and go six miles, but the hamstring, despite being in a compression wrap, said, "Not today, buddy!" It took it about a mile before he started really protesting, so I had to slow down some more to make it home before walking became mandatory. Sucks being injured, but at least there's no pressure. Do I need to just take the whole winter off?

Speaking of winter, Baconator Season officially starts tomorrow, if you haven't been paying attention. Normally, I post a big announcement, including all the rules and scoring system, but I'm just not feeling it right now (where's my mojo? maybe it's just not cold enough yet), so we're having a "soft" opening this year, unless the masses get all excited and there are a ton of questions about it.

Finally (!) picked up Mrs. Dave's CR-V from the body shop on Tuesday. Took a week longer than expected, as I may have mentioned last time, resulting in the creative loading job to get Connor's desk from here to KY. She's so happy. There was a small piece in the trunk that wasn't quite 100%, so I made them order a new one and am waiting until that comes to pay them my deductible. They're making out like bandits on this job, so I don't feel bad making them take care of it.

Put up the inside Christmas decorations last night. It seems sort of muted without any kids in the house. I finished in record time and wondered what used to take so long - it used to seem like it took a lot longer anyway. While I was hanging the ornaments on the tree Spectrum called, trying to get me to re-install the cable and landline. Without the "bundle" I'm paying more for just my internet, and she kept trying to tell me how much I'd save on it if I bundled again. She had a hard time grasping the, "I don't really watch TV anymore and no one calls my home phone except telemarketers," message. "But you'll save $40 on your internet!" "But I'll be paying $50 more than I'm paying now and I don't want TV and phone. I DON'T WANT THEM. Thank you." 

This morning I finished my latest book, Magician, by Raymond Feist. It was published in 1982, and was a cross between Lord of the Rings and The Wheel of Time, but without the superb prose and masterful story telling. That sounds a little harsh. It was a decent book and the story was imaginative enough. Just not great. Finished listening to American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham and started Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton yesterday. The musical made this one pretty popular at the library so I've had to wait awhile to get it. Jackson (7th president) was quite a character. One of those larger than life hero/anti-hero figures, depending on the subject and (even more) depending on who you were talking to. He was able to hold off the Civil War for 30 years, survived two assassination attempts. His wife died after he was elected to his first term and he left Tennessee a week after burying her. Fascinating stuff.

Anyway, some more ice for the hammy tonight. I may try some KT tape (isn't that redundant?), at ocrunnergirl's suggestion. I was just kidding about taking the winter off. That's silly.

  • Like 6
Sign in to follow this  


16 Comments


Recommended Comments

I agree with you on Magician. I'm not sure when I read it, but it was in the last 5 years or so. I didn't bother to read the 2nd one. For some reason, I didn't even mark it off on my Goodreads list. For some unsolicited suggestions, two of the better books I've read lately were Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Fridays at Enrico's

I will likely never win a Baconator.

Edited by MichaelV
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Nope, it's not redundant, because KT stands for "Kinesiology Therapeutic"

I'm trying to read The Zookeeper's Wife, but just not getting into it. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

That Andrew Jackson book has been on my list for awhile.  Maybe I should get the audio version like you did.  Glad to hear you liked it.

Share this comment


Link to comment

There you go gettin' me to crave Wendy's.

My wife and kids do most of the Christmas decorating. My main job is unplugging everything before going to bed.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Close to bacon-ing where I'm at. Next week is not supposed to get above freezing. Yippee.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Did you like Wheel of Time? I tried my best but could only make it through 2-3 books. The female characters were all insanely annoying and it annoyed me in turn to think that Jordan wrote them that way because that's how he thinks of women in general. I couldn't get over it.

Doesn't seem like Baconator season yet, I agree. It's been high of ~50 for the past few days. Glorious for getting outside but not really feeling wintery yet.

Share this comment


Link to comment

I've got a race next Sunday and forecasters hint that it may be bacon worthy.  We shall see.

Went to Hermitage (Jackson's home in TN) last fall- it was fascinating (eerie?) to see the comparisons between his election cycles and the dumpster fire we experienced with Clinton/Trump.  America survived.  Gives me hope.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Believe it or not but it's been snowing here - how's that for summer...well down in Tasmania anyway (that's the little island bottom right) whilst here in Melbourne after some hot temps in November, summer has started with cold, rain and some flooding...oh well better than bushfires!

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 12/1/2017 at 11:53 AM, tinkbot said:

Did you like Wheel of Time? I tried my best but could only make it through 2-3 books. The female characters were all insanely annoying and it annoyed me in turn to think that Jordan wrote them that way because that's how he thinks of women in general. I couldn't get over it.

Doesn't seem like Baconator season yet, I agree. It's been high of ~50 for the past few days. Glorious for getting outside but not really feeling wintery yet.

I did like it, for the shear scope and detail of the story. It got a little tedious in the later books, maybe because he was trying to make sure each volume would stand alone a little. He'd repeat things from previous books as if he hadn't mentioned them before, like he was getting paid by the word. Funny about the women. What I remember most was they were always "crossing her arms under her breasts." Every single time he'd use the same phrase, and they did a lot of arm crossing. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/30/2017 at 4:30 PM, eliz83 said:

Nope, it's not redundant, because KT stands for "Kinesiology Therapeutic"

I'm trying to read The Zookeeper's Wife, but just not getting into it. 

I see that every time I go into Overdrive looking for a new book. You're recommending I pass?

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 11/30/2017 at 4:05 PM, MichaelV said:

I agree with you on Magician. I'm not sure when I read it, but it was in the last 5 years or so. I didn't bother to read the 2nd one. For some reason, I didn't even mark it off on my Goodreads list. For some unsolicited suggestions, two of the better books I've read lately were Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Fridays at Enrico's

I will likely never win a Baconator.

There's a second? Too many good ones out there for me to bother with that.

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dave said:

I see that every time I go into Overdrive looking for a new book. You're recommending I pass?

I haven't gotten past chapter one, so I can't say I've given it a fair shot yet.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 12/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, Dave said:

I did like it, for the shear scope and detail of the story. It got a little tedious in the later books, maybe because he was trying to make sure each volume would stand alone a little. He'd repeat things from previous books as if he hadn't mentioned them before, like he was getting paid by the word. Funny about the women. What I remember most was they were always "crossing her arms under her breasts." Every single time he'd use the same phrase, and they did a lot of arm crossing. 

I remember that too!! Like, yes, we know, females have breasts and if they are going to cross their arms it will inevitably be under their breasts. /eyeroll

Have you read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Similar scope and detail, nowhere near # of volumes but I liked the story better.

Share this comment


Link to comment
18 hours ago, tinkbot said:

I remember that too!! Like, yes, we know, females have breasts and if they are going to cross their arms it will inevitably be under their breasts. /eyeroll

Have you read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Similar scope and detail, nowhere near # of volumes but I liked the story better.

No, but I'll add it to my Goodreads list. I'm down to a half dozen on my current book list, and need to find some more good ones.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...