Jump to content

Bloop

  • entries
    897
  • comments
    9,223
  • views
    35,861

Contributors to this blog

S.R. Redux: A Gutsy, Gusty Comeback Half in Des Moines

SeniorRunner

1,273 views

On Sunday, for the first time in three years, I ran a race longer than 5K.  This hiatus was caused by a series of bizarre non-running injuries.  The worst was two summers ago, when I pulled a groin muscle while trying to pick a hard-to-reach squash.  More recently, I tore an intercostal muscle when I fell to the floor while sleeping.

Waking at 5:00am to begin race prep, I was greeted with this local weather alert:

          image.thumb.png.83b978fddf4319f2d3d99747d9928fd2.png

Fortunately, I always try to keep a low profile.

As I started to leave for the race, something felt amiss in the shoe department.  Glancing down, I uttered my first obscenity of the day.

image.thumb.jpeg.25e60069074a7082725e3f45ec29eac1.jpeg

I had put a Clifton racing shoe on my left foot, a Bondi walker on my right.  Next stop:  THE HOME  😳 !

The following pic shows me at the starting line, 41 minutes before race time.  At this point the temp was 45, which was fine, but the wind gusts were in the 20-30 mph zone.  I hunkered down in the stairwell of an open building until race time.

image.thumb.jpeg.32bfa07cdaf9ca5c37eb5d051983ddb4.jpeg

The first 9 miles went pretty much as planned.  Using a 5:1 run/walk strategy, I was averaging exactly 12 minute miles.  But I had used a lot of energy fighting the wind on the river bridges and in the skyscraper canyons of downtown Des Moines.  I was tired, and resorted to more frequent walks.  This pic, taken late in the race, fails to reflect how miserable I really felt!

image.thumb.jpeg.2656dd8db85aebf7d9e6b29aa7748927.jpeg

I ended up at 2:44:30 for a 12:34 pace, but was pleased to learn that I had won my age group.  (Whether or not two constitutes a "group" is a semantic issue that I refuse to discuss.)

On Saturday there had been a brief flurry of Loopster excitement.  Mrs. SR told me she had seen an "Awesome Sauce" sign in one of the hotel elevators and wondered if that was a Loopster name.  I said it was, though I didn't know the person's real name.

Earlier that day I had seen a sign in the lobby welcoming "Jerry and his 'runbuds' on his 50th," so I assumed someone could be welcoming Awesome Sauce.  My APB on Facebook quickly identified her as a young woman who had been a star collegiate runner in southeast Nebraska.  Sadly, a check at the front desk failed to show that this person was staying there.

When I finally located the right elevator, I found the following:

image.jpeg.a4cd643ab148e28b2ba73576d9db61df.jpeg

Turns out to be an ad for various sauces offered in the hotel restaurant.

I guess sauces are haute cuisine at the Des Moines Hampton Inns!

 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1


31 Comments


Recommended Comments



Nice run! Good job pushing through the wind and running a half. I've never much liked running in the wind. I'd honestly rather run in anything else. Congrats too on the age group win. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Maybe Clifton / Bondi is a good combination for a run/walk strategy. An AG win is an AG win - the rest just couldn't find matching shoes and didn't show up.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey, there are way more than 2 in your age group, many of them just decided to not show up. Maybe because they couldn't find two matching shoes.

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
41 minutes ago, HRoseC said:

Nice run! Good job pushing through the wind and running a half. I've never much liked running in the wind. I'd honestly rather run in anything else. Congrats too on the age group win. 

The wind is definitely not my friend. In addition to making me work harder, it made the cool stretches seem cold.  For that reason, I didn't jettison my sweatshirt, as planned. Shoulda done the jacket, which I coulda tied around me in warm areas.

Share this comment


Link to comment
43 minutes ago, NavEng said:

Maybe Clifton / Bondi is a good combination for a run/walk strategy. An AG win is an AG win - the rest just couldn't find matching shoes and didn't show up.

LOL at the Clifton/Bondi strategy, That might have been just the ticket!

Share this comment


Link to comment
32 minutes ago, mattw said:

Hey, there are way more than 2 in your age group, many of them just decided to not show up. Maybe because they couldn't find two matching shoes.

Truth told, there were moments when I envied those chicken-s*** layabouts!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

AGs are just convenient designations as opposed to any specific number of participants. Take the win. No one need know or care how many were behind you.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I think you should write Galloway and suggest he add the one-running-shoe-one-walking-shoe wardrobe option. Nice job, SR. It must feel good to be able to go the distance again, even if it's not at your former pace. 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dave said:

AGs are just convenient designations as opposed to any specific number of participants. Take the win. No one need know or care how many were behind you.

That's pretty much my take on the matter...

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, CompulsiveRunner said:

I think you should write Galloway and suggest he add the one-running-shoe-one-walking-shoe wardrobe option. Nice job, SR. It must feel good to be able to go the distance again, even if it's not at your former pace. 

Galloway often comes to Iowa races to preach "the gospel."  I may just show up with "the SR Hoka combo" and suggest that I at least deserve a footnote in his next edition!

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Perhaps you should avoid squash and sleep? 

So glad to see you back on the run. And walk. And run again. And... Well done!

  • Confused 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

The squash thing I can work with, but the sleep thing, not so much.  For my whole family, the world of sleep is mondo bizarro!

Edited by SeniorRunner
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

We would be outstanding running buddies at this point.  My pace is your pace.  Think of the amazing horticultural discussions we could have for nearly 3 hours in a half marathon!  :big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon:

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

Congrats on the age group win! Good to see you in the new Loop!

 

Edited by John Nguyen
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Congrats SR on your race!  Great job of finding pre race distractions to take your mind off the adverse weather conditions.

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, TreeGirl said:

We would be outstanding running buddies at this point.  My pace is your pace.  Think of the amazing horticultural discussions we could have for nearly 3 hours in a half marathon!  :big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon:

For starters we could discuss bananas.  I once lived in a country that had over a dozen types of bananas...(Bolivia).

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, John Nguyen said:

Congrats on the age group win! Good to see you in the new Loop!

 

I'm delighted to see you're still hanging in there, John!

 

2 hours ago, skinnyLLegs said:

Congrats SR on your race!  Great job of finding pre race distractions to take your mind off the adverse weather conditions.

Yes, finding early morning distractions to avoid running is a skill that I've honed into a fine art over the years!

Share this comment


Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Runningthrumymind said:

A win is a win and sloth is a sin.  Congratulations!

And your rhyme made me grin!

Share this comment


Link to comment

Haha with the dull colours Hoka (and many others) are putting out now it's not hard to get them mixed up! Congrats on the AG!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 hours ago, SeniorRunner said:

For starters we could discuss bananas.  I once lived in a country that had over a dozen types of bananas...(Bolivia).

The bananas I ate in Ecuador in 2014 were like nothing I had tasted in a banana!  It ruined me for bananas.  I rarely eat them now because they taste terrible compared to those in Ecuador.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...